Patient and Nurse Satisfaction
- Experience fewer medical errors
- Leave our care in better health and a better overall experience of care
For a nurse to provide the physical, mental and emotional support every patient needs, he or she should first feel both empowered and appreciated. Sentara Healthcare creates systems and tools to support these needs, regularly adding initiatives.
Our three goals:
- Inspire and motivate employees to take actions that enrich the customer experience.
- Impress on every employee that each one of us is a customer.
- Lay the foundation for continuous awareness and understanding of how the Sentara Commitments, safety habits and relationship-based care create the Sentara customer experience.
Also 2017 brought a renewed focus on the importance of rounding at Sentara and the strong correlation between rounding and patient satisfaction. Hourlyrounding by our frontline nurses greatly contributes to this. Research conducted by NRC Health shows that patients were 61 percent more likely to rate their hospital stay a 9 or 10 when they responded “Yes” to the question, “During this hospital stay, did a nurse visit you at least every two (2) hours?” To highlight the importance of rounding and model effective rounding in action, a team of executives, leaders and frontline employees worked together to shoot a video series, “Executive, Leader and Hourly Rounding,” set to debut in early 2018.
This year, we’ll also push out our other two customer experience components:
- Patient and family engagement
- Effective data use
For the first, we’re pinpointing additional opportunities for our Patient and Family Advisory Council members to influence our entire healthcare system, and for the second, we’ll begin to generate more feedback from patients, particularly in real time — when we can immediately fix problems, address concerns and recognize successes.